Date   

Re: Big problems after creator's update

 

Are you able to use the WinKey to trigger a search and have it complete successfully?   If so, hit WinKey, search for "Recovery", and select "Recovery Options" from the returned search results.  This should open the Recovery pane of Update & Security settings and this is where the "Go back to an earlier build" (or something similar) button or link is located during the period that this function is supported.  I think that's for something like 10 days after upgrading.

My suspicion is that either there was corruption on your system prior to upgrading or that some "burp" occurred during the upgrade process itself.
--
Brian

        Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.


Re: Creating vb macros in object applications

jeff armstrong <jeffarmstrong1380@...>
 

Pablo;
I have done some of these tasks in the past and used the "mr. excel site" which usually comes up when I google my needs where vb modules are concerned. I use an older version of office but I do not drag anything anywhere ever. I usually try to find out how to code for the parameters that dragging may set. I only write these modules for myself so beauty has not been a concern, dragging controls may make for better looking user control objects on the screen, I just don't know.



Jeff Armstrong

NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any printing, copying, dissemination, distribution, disclosure or forwarding of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete it from your system. Thank You.

-----Original Message-----
From: Pablo Morales
Sent: Friday, May 05, 2017 7:20 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Creating vb macros in object applications

Hi all,
I am trying to figure out how to place a control in an excel sheet when I am developing a vb macro. When we are working on vb, create and place a control is very easy, but I haven't been able to create or insert a control creating a macro in excel.
How a jaws user is able to drag a control to the design area?
Thanks in advance,


Big problems after creator's update

jeff armstrong <jeffarmstrong1380@...>
 

Hello;
 
I updated to creator’s edition? of windows 10 and now most programs error out or just throw me back to the desktop.  The email program seems to work as does internet explorer.  I saw an article that said something about turning off “tablet mode” but I can’t run settings, it just sends me to desktop.  Can someone either instruct me on rolling back, if possible? or possibilities on what I might do to repair the new update or whatever it broke?  Thanks in advance.
Jeff
Jeff Armstrong

NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any printing, copying, dissemination, distribution, disclosure or forwarding of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete it from your system. Thank You.


Kertana and searching for a file, or for key words in a file

Sharon
 

I used to be able to go into Windows Explorer, and search for a file, and even for key words somewhere on my hard drive even if I didn’t know what file the words were in. When I now go to file explorer, and then to search, it wants to take me to the internet, and it appears that Kertana is somehow in charge. Anyone know how to just simply find a file when I know it’s name, or find key words in a file when I don’t? I may or may not know what folder the file is in. I used to just go to my documents and just start the search. Talk about confused!

Sharon


Jaws 18 and Outlook 2016, Reading messages

Jim Fettgather
 

Hello.

On 2 different PC’s, running Jaws 18 and Outlook 2016, after pressing enter to read a message, Jaws will begin to prematurely read the message, and interrupt itself with, message as 13 links, and either continue to read the message, or start from the beginning.

 

This happens quite consistently, and all panes like the reading pane, preview pane, and any other pane I can disable, I have done so.

This behavior did not occur in Outlook 2013.

Just wondering if anyone is experiencing this disruptive behavior, and if there  is a way to fix this.

I have also tried starting Outlook with all add-ons disable, but the same behavior occurs.

Thanks for any thoughts.

 

 


Re: Getting rid of MS Edge as the default open app

Randy Barnett <randy@...>
 

OK, I reread your post... I see your point. At the same time I dont care why MS does this I do care that I am forced into a non accessible app...On 5/12/2017 2:55 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Randy,

        You are correct.   Given that what shows up when you initially click on "Get Help" is a Windows Help app, that appears to be using Cortana "under the hood" to do a web search based on what you enter, this result is not surprising.   Anything that Microsoft is keeping inside the new Universal Apps presentation (for lack of a better way of phrasing it) is funneling straight to Cortana, Edge, and Bing.

         The original poster asked about opening PDF files with a program of her choosing, as opposed to Edge, and having links clicked in Outlook open in the web browser of her choice.  Both of these are easily accomplished, and permanently, barring another of the major updates that might change those settings.  Since there has been a huge outcry about resetting those settings that the user can reconfigure without their knowledge it appears that Microsoft is trying to move away from this practice (that they never should have indulged in in the first place).

           My initial statements in this thread are, indeed, correct if one looks at how certain exceptions are actually being produced.  If it involves Cortana, whether explicitly or implicitly, then one is definitely saddled with the Cortana-Edge-Bing thruple.
--
Brian

        Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.



Re: Getting rid of MS Edge as the default open app

Randy Barnett <randy@...>
 

Sorry I don't understand your issue with what I said... There are links all through the OS that open in edge no matter what your settings... MS has also changed my default search engine from google. to Bing. It is hard to know every instance that this applies too So I was just pointing this out...

On 5/12/2017 2:40 PM, Randy Barnett wrote:
go to windows update and click on get more help... It opens in Edge...
On 5/12/2017 1:56 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Randy,

         Then I want the steps to reproduce them.  And this is not because I don't believe you, but because I have not been able to induce what you're describing.
    
          I have never had any search engine "silently changed" to anything with the exception of once during one of the major updates, I think to version 1607, where a bunch of other settings that users can reset got set back to the defaults that Microsoft thought appropriate.   I have expressed my outrage at this practice, or at least not telling people that they need to recheck certain specific settings, repeatedly.

          I just clicked on a link in a Help dialog in MS-Publisher 2010 and it's being presented in Firefox, my default browser.  If I can replicate what you're reporting then I may also be able to figure out how to block it from occurring.  The only thing I've come to accept that I have no control over is what happens with Cortana web search results (always shown in MS-Edge and always produced using Bing Search).
--
Brian

        Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.




Re: Getting rid of MS Edge as the default open app

 

Randy,

        You are correct.   Given that what shows up when you initially click on "Get Help" is a Windows Help app, that appears to be using Cortana "under the hood" to do a web search based on what you enter, this result is not surprising.   Anything that Microsoft is keeping inside the new Universal Apps presentation (for lack of a better way of phrasing it) is funneling straight to Cortana, Edge, and Bing.

         The original poster asked about opening PDF files with a program of her choosing, as opposed to Edge, and having links clicked in Outlook open in the web browser of her choice.  Both of these are easily accomplished, and permanently, barring another of the major updates that might change those settings.  Since there has been a huge outcry about resetting those settings that the user can reconfigure without their knowledge it appears that Microsoft is trying to move away from this practice (that they never should have indulged in in the first place).

           My initial statements in this thread are, indeed, correct if one looks at how certain exceptions are actually being produced.  If it involves Cortana, whether explicitly or implicitly, then one is definitely saddled with the Cortana-Edge-Bing thruple.
--
Brian

        Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.


Re: Getting rid of MS Edge as the default open app

Randy Barnett <randy@...>
 

go to windows update and click on get more help... It opens in Edge...

On 5/12/2017 1:56 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Randy,

         Then I want the steps to reproduce them.  And this is not because I don't believe you, but because I have not been able to induce what you're describing.
    
          I have never had any search engine "silently changed" to anything with the exception of once during one of the major updates, I think to version 1607, where a bunch of other settings that users can reset got set back to the defaults that Microsoft thought appropriate.   I have expressed my outrage at this practice, or at least not telling people that they need to recheck certain specific settings, repeatedly.

          I just clicked on a link in a Help dialog in MS-Publisher 2010 and it's being presented in Firefox, my default browser.  If I can replicate what you're reporting then I may also be able to figure out how to block it from occurring.  The only thing I've come to accept that I have no control over is what happens with Cortana web search results (always shown in MS-Edge and always produced using Bing Search).
--
Brian

        Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.



Re: Jaws and Microsoft Publisher

Nicole Massey <nyyki@...>
 

Yes, of course. And yes, there are a lot more steps in doing desktop layout with Word than with Publisher, as Word isn't optimized for such things. This is why I drew the parallel with Sibelius, which also has some pretty specific layout requirements and *has* been made accessible enough to turn out stuff sighted folks can process into usable information.
I always preferred Framemaker to Publisher myself back in the days when I could see.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2017 4:12 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws and Microsoft Publisher

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 02:06 pm, Nicole Massey wrote:


If proper layout can be done in Sibelius it can be done in Publisher

If basic layout is all that's being sought then I'd definitely go for a tool other than Publisher.

Desktop publishing is about a lot more than simple layout, which can be accomplished with many more accessible tools such as MS-Word.

Fitting the tool to both the user and the actual task, for any user and any actual task, is always a good idea. Putting someone in the cockpit of a commercial airliner and telling them to fly it when what you're looking for is a paper airplane tossed across a room makes no sense.
--
Brian

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.


Re: Jaws and Microsoft Publisher

 

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 02:06 pm, Nicole Massey wrote:
If proper layout can be done in Sibelius it can be done in Publisher

If basic layout is all that's being sought then I'd definitely go for a tool other than Publisher.

Desktop publishing is about a lot more than simple layout, which can be accomplished with many more accessible tools such as MS-Word.

Fitting the tool to both the user and the actual task, for any user and any actual task, is always a good idea.   Putting someone in the cockpit of a commercial airliner and telling them to fly it when what you're looking for is a paper airplane tossed across a room makes no sense.
--
Brian

        Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.


Re: Jaws and Microsoft Publisher

Nicole Massey <nyyki@...>
 

If proper layout can be done in Sibelius it can be done in Publisher, though from what folks are saying here it'll probably require some scripts to make it work out, since Publisher is one of those Microsoft products that doesn't like us. (/me gives a sideways glance to Project) That said, scripting isn't trivial. And I'm sort of questioning how vital it is to do this in Publisher, as most of what it does can be done in Word, and it turns out some ugly (from a screen reader perspective) PDF documents.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2017 3:51 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws and Microsoft Publisher

Ted,

One could copy and paste text from any other application to Publisher, and I could get JAWS to read me the text in a given box once I got the text box not selected as an object but with myself placed within it.

That being said, and at the risk of causing a war [and not by intention, I am willing to be educated], the entire focus of Publisher revolves around the physical visual layout of content. It's whole reason for being is as a visual design tool. It's not that I don't think that someone who's blind is incapable of writing copy, discussing what may be wanted as far as layout, etc., but the actual laying out of all the elements that Publisher was meant to be laying out is truly a visual task at its core. If someone can explain how this could be done (and I'm not talking about filling in a template) by someone who cannot see the result of what they're actually doing, even if they can imagine precisely what they'd like, I'd love to hear it. This is a case where it seems like the nature of the task itself is primarily visual.

I've done more work with Publisher than I care to recount and, in fact, used it this afternoon to make labels to create a "nearly invisible" correction to the phone number on my business cards, which has changed since they were printed.
--
Brian

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.


Re: Getting rid of MS Edge as the default open app

 

Randy,

         Then I want the steps to reproduce them.  And this is not because I don't believe you, but because I have not been able to induce what you're describing.
    
          I have never had any search engine "silently changed" to anything with the exception of once during one of the major updates, I think to version 1607, where a bunch of other settings that users can reset got set back to the defaults that Microsoft thought appropriate.   I have expressed my outrage at this practice, or at least not telling people that they need to recheck certain specific settings, repeatedly.

          I just clicked on a link in a Help dialog in MS-Publisher 2010 and it's being presented in Firefox, my default browser.  If I can replicate what you're reporting then I may also be able to figure out how to block it from occurring.  The only thing I've come to accept that I have no control over is what happens with Cortana web search results (always shown in MS-Edge and always produced using Bing Search).
--
Brian

        Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.


Re: Jaws and Microsoft Publisher

 

Ted,

        One could copy and paste text from any other application to Publisher, and I could get JAWS to read me the text in a given box once I got the text box not selected as an object but with myself placed within it.

         That being said, and at the risk of causing a war [and not by intention, I am willing to be educated], the entire focus of Publisher revolves around the physical visual layout of content.  It's whole reason for being is as a visual design tool.  It's not that I don't think that someone who's blind is incapable of writing copy, discussing what may be wanted as far as layout, etc., but the actual laying out of all the elements that Publisher was meant to be laying out is truly a visual task at its core.  If someone can explain how this could be done (and I'm not talking about filling in a template) by someone who cannot see the result of what they're actually doing, even if they can imagine precisely what they'd like, I'd love to hear it.   This is a case where it seems like the nature of the task itself is primarily visual.

          I've done more work with Publisher than I care to recount and, in fact, used it this afternoon to make labels to create a "nearly invisible" correction to the phone number on my business cards, which has changed since they were printed.
--
Brian

        Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.


Re: Jaws and Microsoft Publisher

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)
 

Brian, is it possible to do the heavy lifting in Word, then import the result to Publisher?  I seem to recall that from somewhere.

 

Ted

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2017 1:56 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws and Microsoft Publisher

 

Shane,

          It would be helpful to know what version of JAWS and MS-Publisher you're trying to use together, as this could make a difference.

          In my 10-second testing with Publisher 2010 and JAWS 18 I would say that it is not accessible using JAWS in any meaningful sense of the word accessible.  When I'm tabbing through objects all I get announced is "Tab" with no subsequent announcement of what object is actually selected.  If I select a text box via mouse JAWS will endlessly repeat the first character typed in that text box until I kill speech.

           None of the above may be true if you're using a later version of Publisher or, less likely, a different version of JAWS but I have no way to test that out.  NVDA and Window-Eyes are slightly different, but no better.  I certainly would not be able to make heads nor tails out of what I was doing in Publisher 2010 using any of the previously mentioned screen readers.
--
Brian

        Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.


Re: Getting rid of MS Edge as the default open app

Randy Barnett <randy@...>
 

Brian This is not true. Help links in Win 10 will open in Edge Google chrome has reported the default search engine was silently changed to Bing and asked If I wanted to block any future attempts to silently change my search engine. These are just a couple of real world situations and can be reproduced

On 5/12/2017 11:08 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 11:01 am, Randy Barnett wrote:
Unfortunately windows will open certain links in Edge no matter what you have set your default preferences too... MS will also change your default search engine to bing without your permission or notification...

Windows 10 only uses Bing as the default search engine in MS-Edge, and this can be changed, but will revert to Bing for any searches executed via Cortana as opposed to using the Edge app itself, which will use the search engine you've set.

Windows 10 will only open links that are the result of a web search done via Cortana in MS-Edge.  Other links, such as those you have in e-mail messages, on web pages, etc., will open in whatever browser you have selected as your default web browsing app.  I have tested this less than 4 hours ago with the Windows 10 Mail app and links received in messages.  These all open in Firefox, which I have set as my default browser.

I am running Version 1703, Build 15063.296, under Win10 Home, 64-bit.
--
Brian

        Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.



Re: Jaws and Microsoft Publisher

Lauren Snyder
 

I tried on 2016 version of Publisher. Unfortunately, the application remains as it always has been: you can type in in a text box if a sighted person places you there. Otherwise, it is not accessible with Jaws.

Sincerely,

Lauren Snyder, Ph.D.  
Sent from my iPhone

On May 12, 2017, at 1:55 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Shane,

          It would be helpful to know what version of JAWS and MS-Publisher you're trying to use together, as this could make a difference.

          In my 10-second testing with Publisher 2010 and JAWS 18 I would say that it is not accessible using JAWS in any meaningful sense of the word accessible.  When I'm tabbing through objects all I get announced is "Tab" with no subsequent announcement of what object is actually selected.  If I select a text box via mouse JAWS will endlessly repeat the first character typed in that text box until I kill speech.

           None of the above may be true if you're using a later version of Publisher or, less likely, a different version of JAWS but I have no way to test that out.  NVDA and Window-Eyes are slightly different, but no better.  I certainly would not be able to make heads nor tails out of what I was doing in Publisher 2010 using any of the previously mentioned screen readers.
--
Brian

        Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.


Re: Getting rid of MS Edge as the default open app

 

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 11:01 am, Randy Barnett wrote:
Unfortunately windows will open certain links in Edge no matter what you have set your default preferences too... MS will also change your default search engine to bing without your permission or notification...

Windows 10 only uses Bing as the default search engine in MS-Edge, and this can be changed, but will revert to Bing for any searches executed via Cortana as opposed to using the Edge app itself, which will use the search engine you've set.

Windows 10 will only open links that are the result of a web search done via Cortana in MS-Edge.  Other links, such as those you have in e-mail messages, on web pages, etc., will open in whatever browser you have selected as your default web browsing app.  I have tested this less than 4 hours ago with the Windows 10 Mail app and links received in messages.  These all open in Firefox, which I have set as my default browser.

I am running Version 1703, Build 15063.296, under Win10 Home, 64-bit.
--
Brian

        Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.


Re: Getting rid of MS Edge as the default open app

Randy Barnett <randy@...>
 

Unfortunately windows will open certain links in Edge no matter what you have set your default preferences too... MS will also change your default search engine to bing without your permission or notification...

On 5/12/2017 6:29 AM, Lauren Snyder wrote:

 

 

Hi:

 

How do I make sure whether I am opening a .pdf, a file attachmnet in mail, that I can choose the program I want the application open in. I don’t know what happened, but when I tried to open an attachment in Outlook, it went automtically to MS Edge. Also, when I clicked on a link, MS edge started instead of my preferred IE.

 

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Lauren Snyder

princessesrule@...

 



Re: Jaws and Microsoft Publisher

 

Shane,

          It would be helpful to know what version of JAWS and MS-Publisher you're trying to use together, as this could make a difference.

          In my 10-second testing with Publisher 2010 and JAWS 18 I would say that it is not accessible using JAWS in any meaningful sense of the word accessible.  When I'm tabbing through objects all I get announced is "Tab" with no subsequent announcement of what object is actually selected.  If I select a text box via mouse JAWS will endlessly repeat the first character typed in that text box until I kill speech.

           None of the above may be true if you're using a later version of Publisher or, less likely, a different version of JAWS but I have no way to test that out.  NVDA and Window-Eyes are slightly different, but no better.  I certainly would not be able to make heads nor tails out of what I was doing in Publisher 2010 using any of the previously mentioned screen readers.
--
Brian

        Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.