moderated Re: antimalware question

On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 11:17 AM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
I think slowly, by the time windows 10 came out, Microsoft decided that since Linux and Apple are protecting their own products, that they had to stop leaving that up to third-party companies.
I think it took Microsoft way too long to start doing this on its own.
-
One could argue that last point, but you also have to remember that Linux has always been open-source and Apple its own very strictly walled garden.  Both of these options were distinctly different from Windows, which from the beginning invited very active 3rd party participation in the ecosystem via all sorts of APIs.

In the early days any antivirus/security from Microsoft was a joke because they really didn't need to do it.  That niche was already filled, multiple times, by 3rd party products.  I think they wanted to wrest back some of that niche and had a perfect opportunity when the massive redesign that was Windows As A Service (WAAS) in the form of Windows 10 occurred.  Prior to that, the juice would not have been worth the squeeze as far as trying to retrofit something that was truly top-notch.

     ~ Lauren Bacall