moderated Re: The purpose of screen reader instruction:

Adrian Spratt

Hi Lori,

I believe the two keystrokes have exactly the same function. I’m like you in that control-F4 is a long-time favorite. But I can see why control-w might be a better choice.

--

My novel Caroline is now available in paperback, Kindle and audiobook versions and, for qualified readers in the US, at the National Library Service/BARD. Go to: https://adrianspratt.com/book/

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lori Lynn
Sent: Monday, August 8, 2022 7:27 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: The purpose of screen reader instruction:

This exchange has me a little confused. I have always thought that if I had multiple web pages open that I was to press Control+F4 to close just one of them. I’ve never heard of Control+W. Am I mistaken?

Lori Lynn

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, August 8, 2022 6:01 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: The purpose of screen reader instruction:

On Mon, Aug 8, 2022 at 06:27 PM, Gene Warner wrote

:

The short version is that Alt+F4 is the Windows global close command.

-
I'm going to split a hair here, but only because I have all too often seen how important it is:  ALT + F4 is the Windows global exit command. In most instances it will close the window/program, that is, exit, whatever it is that has focus.

I've watched the horror that occurs when someone accidentally exits something, when what they meant to do was close a tab, for instance.  In all web browsers that I know of right now, if you use tabbed browsing it's very good to get into the habit of using CTRL + W to close your tabs.

I love ALT + F4, and teach it, but it's important to know that it generally exits programs and, for those that don't give you, "Are you sure?," type dialogs, it can catch you out.

This page that focuses on CTRL + W makes the distinction, and does it well:  https://keyboardshortcuts.org/windows-keyboard-shortcuts/close 
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
     ~ Lauren Bacall

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.