moderated Re: The purpose of screen reader instruction:

Gene Warner

Good point, I sometimes hit Alt+F4 when I meant to hit Control+F4 which is the same as Control+W in most cases.

Gene...

On 8/8/2022 7:01 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Aug 8, 2022 at 06:27 PM, Gene Warner wrote:
The short version is that Alt+F4 is the Windows global close command.
-
I'm going to split a hair here, but only because I have all too often seen how important it is:  ALT + F4 is the Windows global exit command. In most instances it will close the window/program, that is, exit, whatever it is that has focus.
I've watched the horror that occurs when someone accidentally exits something, when what they meant to do was close a tab, for instance.  In all web browsers that I know of right now, if you use tabbed browsing it's very good to get into the habit of using CTRL + W to close your tabs.
I love ALT + F4, and teach it, but it's important to know that it generally exits programs and, for those that don't give you, "Are you sure?," type dialogs, it can catch you out.
This page that focuses on CTRL + W makes the distinction, and does it well: https://keyboardshortcuts.org/windows-keyboard-shortcuts/close <https://keyboardshortcuts.org/windows-keyboard-shortcuts/close>
*Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete. If you’re alive, it isn’t.
*     ~ Lauren Bacall