moderated Re: Screen shade tips:

Gene Warner

Unfortunately for me, my hearing is not the best so I can't run Eloquence fast enough to make it unintelligible to other people.

Gene...

On 8/8/2022 11:39 AM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
Listening ears can often be cured by using Eloquence fairly fast, and most
non screenreader users will dismiss it as noise.
Those human sounding voices lend itself to being listened to by anyone.
BTW, do you should not tell secrets on a farm?
corn has ears
potatoes have eyes, and
beanstalk.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Warner" <genewarner3@...>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2022 10:25 AM
Subject: Re: Screen shade tips:
True, in those situations I'll either turn on the screen shade or turn
the screen brightness all the way down. But I travel so rarely that I
don't really need to worry about those situations.
What concerns me more than prying eyes is listening ears.
Gene...
On 8/8/2022 11:18 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Aug 8, 2022 at 11:11 AM, Gene Warner wrote:

My solution to prevent prying eyes is to hook up an external
keyboard to my laptop, then close the lid.

-
Which is an excellent solution except if you need to be using the laptop
with its native keyboard when you're on site, or in a plane, etc.

Another trick if you have to use your laptop in public without an
external keyboard, and happen to be using a screen reader that does not
have a screen shade/curtain function, is this, recommended by another
computer tech when I was trying to find some way to make an old trick I
knew for diverting the Windows display work again:
The best idea I have is the use of a dummy display blank, and then
configuring windows to only display on that screen.

So plugin something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Headless-Display-Emulator-Headless-1920x1080-Generation/dp/B06XT1Z9TF
<https://www.amazon.com/Headless-Display-Emulator-Headless-1920x1080-Generation/dp/B06XT1Z9TF>

Then do this:
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/so...-while-using-external-monitor-ideapad-windows
<https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht504128-how-to-auto-turn-off-laptop-screen-while-using-external-monitor-ideapad-windows>

If you need local access, unplugging the HDMI dongle will enable the
local screen. Remote support software wouldn't care either way.

*Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.
If you’re alive, it isn’t.
* ~ Lauren Bacall