moderated Re: Creating a Desktop Shortcut to Restart Your Computer

On Mon, Aug 8, 2022 at 11:37 AM, Curtis Chong wrote:
And yes, the focus really does need to be on the Desktop before you can push Alt F4 to invoke the Shutdown dialog.
-
Or anything else, really, that you don't want to be applied to the thing that has focus "by default" when you happen to land on the desktop.

That's one of the reasons, in the instructions I posted at the outset, that I emphasized that you needed to be certain that nothing on the desktop was selected/had focus.  Just the desktop itself, as in that state Windows interprets itself as acting either on Windows (if we're talking about ALT + F4 for shutdown) or the desktop folder itself (if we're talking about creating a new desktop shortcut).

     ~ Lauren Bacall