moderated Re: Creating a Desktop Shortcut to Restart Your Computer

Gene Warner

Alt+F4 is what I do, for one thing you don't have to first locate the shortcut to use it so it's much quicker.

Gene...

On 8/8/2022 11:14 AM, Curtis Chong wrote:
Greetings:
This information is very much appreciated. However, I have to wonder if it wouldn’t be easier, since you’re going to the Desktop anyway, simply to press Alt F4 and then select the Press Enter (since Shutdown is the default choice here).
Kindly,
Curtis Chong
*From:* main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Brian Vogel
*Sent:* Monday, August 08, 2022 9:14 AM
*To:* main@jfw.groups.io
*Subject:* Creating a Desktop Shortcut to Restart Your Computer
1.  Go to the desktop and make certain no item has focus.  Then bring up the context menu, whether by SHIFT+F10 or the Applications/Context Menu key, and select New, Shortcut from that menu.
2. In the Create Shortcut dialog that comes up, in the "Type the location of the item" edit box, enter:  C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /r /t 5
then activate the Next button.
3. In the Type a name for this shortcut edit box, enter the name of your choosing.  I tend to just call it something like "Restart in 5 seconds."
4. Activate the Finish button, which will place the shortcut using the name you choose on your desktop.
If you were to want that restart to begin immediately, with no option to cancel, then change that 5 to a zero.  That, or get rid of the "/t 5" entirely and substitute it with "/l".
--
Brian *-*Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044
*Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete. If you’re alive, it isn’t.**