moderated Re: preforming a right click

Phillip Gross

On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 11:41 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 12:30 PM, Gene Warner wrote:
There are key strokes to move one JAWS cursor to where another cursor is, it would be nice if there was something like that for the mouse pointer, or an option in JAWS to keep the mouse pointer with the currently active JAWS cursor.
-
There are keystrokes in JAWS and every other screen reader I've touched to move the mouse pointer to what has focus in the virtual cursor, and vice versa.

In JAWS keyboard shortcut parlance the PC Cursor and the mouse pointer can be thought of pretty much synonymously.  If you've got focus on something and want the mouse pointer to be there, two, issuing the Route PC Cursor to JAWS Cursor command (INSERT + NumPad Plus) does it.  Then you can left or right click (and this presumes that the thing where the mouse pointer/PC Cursor has focus would react to same).  NVDA uses a precisely analogous method, but they describe it as Move mouse pointer to current navigator object and where the full description of that action is, "Moves the mouse to the location of the current navigator object and review cursor."

I've been having students use these commands so that they can then use SHIFT + F10 or Applications/Context Menu Key or try emulated clicking for as long as I can remember.  And it's way more reliable when emulation is not part of the picture.

     ~ Lauren Bacall

The JAWS cursor is the mouse cursor. I'll use a browser window as my example.

The virtual PC cursor is the default cursor in a browser. I find a link or a button that I can't activate with enter or spacebar. I want to left click it with my mouse. On a laptop I would hit capslock plus [. On a desktop I would hit insert plus - on the numpad. This routs the JAWS cursor to the VP, in this case virtual PC, cursor. I then errow back and fourth until I find the first letter of the label I want to click on. At this point, I am using the JAWS cursor because I routed it to the PC cursor. When I find the first letter I left click it with capslock plus 8 or numpad / .