Re: preforming a right click

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 04:41 PM, JM Casey wrote:
I suspect some blind folks don’t even have one.
-
If that's the case, and we're not talking about a laptop, that would almost certainly be because they threw it away, which is a very bad idea.

I don't know of a single person, blind or not, who doesn't have at least a few occasions where an assistant becomes involved and when most sighted people need to work they have to have a mouse.

I've also never understood why instructors for blind tech do not teach how to "hobble" a mouse such that a real left and right click are available when they are needed, and no emulation works.  It's so simple (and I'm presuming an optical mouse - roller ball mice have been a thing of the past for a long while now):  Put a piece of tape over the laser port underneath, and once you know what it feels like it's impossible to mistake (and there's usually only one "big hole" in the bottom of a mouse).  Once that's done, no amount of moving the mouse will cause the mouse pointer to move, but you still have real left and right click.  If you do this with a small piece of cardboard and tape it can be easier to remove when that might be needed.

In the case of a laptop mouse pad, that's done simply by masking off the track pad area with a piece of cardboard that is at least as thick as a manila folder or, preferably, the back of your average legal pad.  Finger touches cannot be detected through this, but the hard left and right mouse buttons are still available (or the left and right push corners where actual separate hard buttons are not present).

Knowing how to create and use a "neutered"/"hobbled" mouse or mouse pad can solve a lot of annoyance.

     ~ Lauren Bacall