moderated Re: bank on line bill pay

Howard Traxler

I don't seem to trust my (an any other) bank to protect my account.  e issued a paper check to a grand daughter, not of a significant amount, and she managed to cash it twice; and how many more times before we caught the problem.  As long as the recipient hangs on to your check, who's to say how many times they can cash it?

Howard

On 7/26/2022 3:05 PM, Larry Thacker Jr. wrote:

Some aps are better than others at this.  The Bank of America app for iOS does a good jog of giving you directions and then automatically snapping the pic when it’s right.  I was surprised to find that the app for a local bank I’ve been evaluating did this as well.  I am finding a few holes in it, but overall the app and web site designed by Computer Services Inc. (CSI) seems to work pretty well. A tell may be that when you go to online banking the web site address reads yourbankname.mybanking.net.  One caveat though, the security lacks true two-factor authentication.  As much as I want to perf local business over mega corporations that don’t have my interests at heart, this may ultimately be a deal breaker for me.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2022 2:10 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: bank on line bill pay

On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 01:58 PM, Gene Warner wrote:

You have to take pictures of the front and back of the check.

-
Well, yes, as that's how any mobile banking app gets the data necessary to deposit the check and to have the legally required images (when the bank processes the checks normally they're scanned, and images are saved).

When it comes to things like this, it's always easier to enlist sighted assistance, once, to get a "photo rig" set up for your smartphone.  I've done this on multiple occasions, and not just for banking apps, so that the phone can be placed on top of the rig (which is usually a small cardboard box, cut into what amounts to a small table with an opening large enough for the smartphone's camera to be able to take photos of items placed "on the floor" (table top or desk top in reality) beneath the rig.  Once set up this tends to work like a charm for as long as the rig remains viable.

     ~ Lauren Bacall

--
It's so convenient when you folks sign your messages with your name (or even an alias).  Then I don't have to close the message and look through the headings to find the originator.