moderated Re: Function keys and trying to change the way they operate with JAWS

Bill White

Hi, Karen. Yes, hold down the FN key, and while held down, press ESCAPE.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Karen Reynolds
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2022 6:35 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Function keys and trying to change the way they operate with JAWS

Does the function key and the escape have to be pressed at the same time to toggle it on and off? I use escape all the time and it doesn't do this.

Karen

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Longmore
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2022 5:05 PM
Subject: Re: Function keys and trying to change the way they operate with JAWS

Hi,
If a Lenovo the "FN" key and "ESC" key will toggle this setting off or on. Drove me crazy for a bit when I first got my Lenovo. Other models have similar means however some are more complicated.

Dan

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Taylor Durrett
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2022 9:44 AM
Subject: Function keys and trying to change the way they operate with JAWS

Hello. So I got a new computer with Windows 11, so I have been trying to figure out the layout of the new laptop and all of that. And I’ve noticed that when I’m on a webpage and I want to hit insert plus F7 to go to a links list, it doesn’t work, same with insert plus F4 to unload JAWS (Not that I would ever actually want to do that, but I was just trying to mess around with it). It’s like my function keys aren’t working in the way that I need them to. Like for example, I believe it is my F5 key that functions as a mute button right now, but I don’t want that, I want them to just function as regular F one through F 12 keys. I posted on a Facebook group, and I was told to do the function key plus escape, and I’ve tried that and it still is the same way. Is JAWS supposed to say anything when I perform that action of function key plus escape? Usually I’m pretty tech savvy, but this not being able to do insert plus F7 for the links list is kind of baffling right now. I know I can use the Hey Sharky feature and have it pull up links that way, but still, I’d like to have the normal key command work. Thanks.

Taylor Durrett
Assistive Technology Trainer for the Blind and Visually Impaired JAWS Certified, October 2020
(940) 230-6051

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.