moderated Re: What is the new keyboard layout

Gene Warner

On most laptops the FN key is usually in the bottom row on the left side between the control and Windows keys, thought it can be between the Windows and alt keys. It really depends on the brand and model of your laptop because it seems that everyone has their own ideas where some keys should go, even between models of the same brand.

Gene...

On 7/16/2022 6:08 AM, Mike Pietruk wrote:
Brian
I've been looking for this ahnswer for some time as my f11 key raises
volume which, mormally, is what I want it to do.
But, what is the "fn" key (ie, where is it?)
Thanks in advance.
On Fri, 15 Jul 2022, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 10:48 PM, Taylor Durrett wrote:

My function keys on my top row of my new laptop  are not functioning like
normal function keys, but instead theyÿÿre like, functioning like
multimedia keys instead.
-
This is a very, very common convention indeed, and has been for some time now.  If you're not a screen reader user there's almost never a time where the use of the function key row as "actual function keys" just doesn't arise.  On the rare occasions it does, holding down the Fn key and hitting the needed function key on that row makes it act as a standard function key rather than a media key.

There are a few makers, Lenovo being one of them, that allows the media key function to be toggled on/off within Windows using a utility they supply.  Most, however, require the media keys/action keys/whatever the given manufacturer calls them to be toggled off in UEFI/BIOS, which requires sighted assistance since there is no screen reader support before the operating system loads.

*Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If youÿÿre alive, it isnÿÿt.
* ~ Lauren Bacall