moderated Re: Function keys and trying to change the way they operate with JAWS

nocm@...

Hello taylor,

On Lenovo laptops the fn and esc keys will toggle the function keys
between function keys and multimedia keys. On other laptops some require
the fn key and shift key to lock the function keys into function mode so
they will perform as function keys. On other laptops you have to go into
the bios and change the setting for how function keys perform. There
will either be a check box that has to be unchecked or a way of toggleing
between enabled or disabled and possibly a couple of other methods
depending on the laptop model and how the function keys are addressed in
the bios. This will require sighted assistance as the bios does not have
speech capabilities and the setting you are looking for is usually found
under the advanced options.

I hope this helps.

Kevin

On Thu, 14 Jul 2022 08:43:37 -0500 "Taylor Durrett"
<tactiletaylor@...> writes:

Hello. So I got a new computer with Windows 11, so I have been trying
to figure out the layout of the new laptop and all of that. And
Iíve noticed that when Iím on a webpage and I want to hit insert
plus F7 to go to a links list, it doesnít work, same with insert
plus F4 to unload JAWS (Not that I would ever actually want to do
that, but I was just trying to mess around with it). Itís like my
function keys arenít working in the way that I need them to. Like
for example, I believe it is my F5 key that functions as a mute
button right now, but I donít want that, I want them to just
function as regular F one through F 12 keys. I posted on a Facebook
group, and I was told to do the function key plus escape, and Iíve
tried that and it still is the same way. Is JAWS supposed to say
anything when I perform that action of function key plus escape?
Usually Iím pretty tech savvy, but this not being able to do
insert plus F7 for the links list is kind of baffling right now. I
know I can use the Hey Sharky feature and have it pull up links that
way, but still, Iíd like to have the normal key command work.
Thanks.

Taylor Durrett
Assistive Technology Trainer for the Blind and Visually Impaired
JAWS Certified, October 2020
(940) 230-6051