moderated Re: What is the new keyboard layout

Bharat

I recently got this HP pro notebook with Windows 11. At the time when
I got it, function keys were working like multimedia keys but I hit
function+escape & it did not turn off with that. on my Lenovo laptop
that shortcut for disabling multimedia keys actually worked all the
time. as proceeded to disable the widgets & few other things such as
notification chevron, quite mysteriously, those multimedia keys became
the normal function keys. I am not really too sure what explains all
this but I have happily been using all the function keys since then.

Thank you,

Bharat

On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 10:48 PM, Taylor Durrett wrote:

My function keys on my top row of my new laptop  are not functioning like
normal function keys, but instead they’re like, functioning like
multimedia keys instead.
-
This is a very, very common convention indeed, and has been for some time
now.  If you're not a screen reader user there's almost never a time where
the use of the function key row as "actual function keys" just doesn't
arise.  On the rare occasions it does, holding down the Fn key and hitting
the needed function key on that row makes it act as a standard function key
rather than a media key.

There are a few makers, Lenovo being one of them, that allows the media key
function to be toggled on/off within Windows using a utility they supply.
Most, however, require the media keys/action keys/whatever the given
manufacturer calls them to be toggled off in UEFI/BIOS, which requires
sighted assistance since there is no screen reader support before the
operating system loads.

*Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If
you’re alive, it isn’t.
* ~ Lauren Bacall