moderated Re: What is the new keyboard layout

On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 10:48 PM, Taylor Durrett wrote:
My function keys on my top row of my new laptop  are not functioning like normal function keys, but instead they’re like, functioning like multimedia keys instead.
-
This is a very, very common convention indeed, and has been for some time now.  If you're not a screen reader user there's almost never a time where the use of the function key row as "actual function keys" just doesn't arise.  On the rare occasions it does, holding down the Fn key and hitting the needed function key on that row makes it act as a standard function key rather than a media key.

There are a few makers, Lenovo being one of them, that allows the media key function to be toggled on/off within Windows using a utility they supply.  Most, however, require the media keys/action keys/whatever the given manufacturer calls them to be toggled off in UEFI/BIOS, which requires sighted assistance since there is no screen reader support before the operating system loads.

     ~ Lauren Bacall