From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Edward Green
Sent: 11 June 2022 09:33
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?

Hi James,

I find JAWS’s Office support better than NVDA’s, and also find it more responsive in Office applications.

Some of its productivity features are also really good like text analyzer.

This could be just my impression, but I also find the NVDA add-on process a bit messy, EG. a lot of add-ons always seem to break when NVDA is updated and it takes a while for them to get fixed. While I’m sure that does happen to external scripts and JAWS, it doesn’t feel as though it happens nearly as often.

Cheers,

Ed

On 11 June 2022 09:03:58 "James Malone" <james.malone93502@...> wrote:

Hi all,
inspired from an earlier topic, I got to wondering:
What makes people keep coming back to Jaws over NVDA? I also want to
emphasise that this is not a topic trying to bash one or the other,
I'd really like to hear some opinions from the Jaws side. What do you
think it does better? Where do you think it's weakness's are? I've
been a long time NVDA user and occasionally dabbled in Jaws here and
there over the past year or so. Something I commonly see is that Jaws
still seems to have better braille support. I also don't know how many
organisations would be super happy with the idea of putting NVDA on a
work computer, so there's that. I used Jaws growing up, so I have a
fair amount of experience in both readers. Using Jaws recently also
told me that the overall look and feel hasn't really changed either,
so there was next to no learning curve when it came to reacquainting
myself. I know NV access have been working on this, but to my
understanding Jaws also seems to have better UIA support, something
that can only be a positive!
Looking forward to hearing from you,
James