moderated Re: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?

Steve Nutt

Hi,

Just efficiency really.

A simple example is reading Email in Outlook 365. JAWS will continue to read the whole Email as soon as you open it, but NVDA will only read the first line and give all that garbage about HTML document and stuff. NVDA is simply not as polished as JAWS. In fact, Narrator does a better job with outlook than NVDA.

Just my personal opinion, but I'd say if you're a home user, NVDA is fine, but when the rubber hits the road, JAWS has more chops.

All the best

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Malone
Sent: 11 June 2022 09:04
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?

Hi all,
inspired from an earlier topic, I got to wondering:
What makes people keep coming back to Jaws over NVDA? I also want to emphasise that this is not a topic trying to bash one or the other, I'd really like to hear some opinions from the Jaws side. What do you think it does better? Where do you think it's weakness's are? I've been a long time NVDA user and occasionally dabbled in Jaws here and there over the past year or so. Something I commonly see is that Jaws still seems to have better braille support. I also don't know how many organisations would be super happy with the idea of putting NVDA on a work computer, so there's that. I used Jaws growing up, so I have a fair amount of experience in both readers. Using Jaws recently also told me that the overall look and feel hasn't really changed either, so there was next to no learning curve when it came to reacquainting myself. I know NV access have been working on this, but to my understanding Jaws also seems to have better UIA support, something that can only be a positive!
Looking forward to hearing from you,
James

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.