moderated Re: Microsoft default OCR engine with JAWS convenient OCR

Gene Warner

That's usually what I do, if I don't like the OCR results I'm getting, I'll go switch that setting and see if I get better results. Then I'll just leave it set that way until I don't like the results again.

Probably the best thing that can be said about the Microsoft engine is that since it is a part of Windows, it will get updated by Microsoft as needed. Whatever engine JAWS defaults to might get updated, but those updates won't get into JAWS until Freedom Scientific decides to update their license, which doesn't happen any where often enough.

Gene...

On 7/5/2022 1:46 PM, dennis wrote:
i would just do a quick test with both and see wich one works best for you.
On 7/5/2022 12:43 PM, Gene Warner wrote:
Hi Loy!

From my experience, Freedom Scientific doesn't always use the best OCR engines, I am not sure what OCR engine is used if you leave this turned off, but I have found that it is often dependent on the document you are scanning as to which engine is the best to use, the JAWS default, or the Microsoft engine. I wish I could give you a more definitive answer, sorry.

Gene...

On 7/5/2022 1:07 PM, Loy wrote:
There is an option in JAWS to use Microsoft's default OCR engine with JAWS convenient OCR. Is it a better OCR engine than  the one that comes with JAWS?

Avast logo <https://www.avast.com/antivirus>
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>