moderated Re: Changing From One License Type to Another: Additional Costs?

Annabelle Susan Morison

I originally purchased JAWS with my college trust fund in 2002. Does this mean I own it if I purchased a perpetual license back then?

On 07/03/2022 6:33 AM Gerald Levy via groups.io <bwaylimited@...> wrote:

There is so much confusion about this issue that I will try to explain the differences between a perpetual license and an annual renewable home license.  When you purchase a copy of JAWS for the regular price of $950, you can use it indefinitely without restriction as long as it is still compatible with your version of Windows because you own it outright.  It is yours to keep, and you can authorize it to use on up to three computers.  Many JAWS home users have JAWS purchased for them by a blindness rehab agency and never bother to upgrade their SMA's at their own cost because JAWS works satisfactorally with the version of Windows they are using.  Other JAWS users who own it outright because they either purchased it themselves or had it purchased for them by a rehab agency prefer to pay $150 every two years to upgrade their SMA's so that they can enjoy the latest version of JAWS and ensure ongoing compatibility with Windows.  With an annual home license,on the other hand, you are only purchasing the right to use JAWS without restriction for a specific period of time, usually one, three or five years.  Unlike an SMA, you do not own JAWS outright, and if you fail to renew your license before it is due to expire, JAWS will revert to 40 minute demo mode.  HTH.

Gerald

On 7/3/2022 9:00 AM, Annabelle Susan Morison wrote:
I wonder what the difference is between the Home Annual and the Perpetual license.
On 07/03/2022 5:54 AM Bharat <bharat.b@...> wrote:

Thank you,

bharat.In that case, you would be better served  by going with the
$95 JAWS home annual licence from FS's E-Store. While out there, if
you opt for a 2 or 5 year licence, it would come in even cheaper from
a overall pricing standpoint. That's my understanding of it all.

On 7/3/22, Annabelle Susan Morison <foristnights@...> wrote:
The most recent version my SMA currently supports is JAWS version 15.

    On 07/03/2022 5:39 AM Loy <loyrg2845@...> wrote:

    Depending on your last SMA version, you could upgrade to a current SMA
by paying the upgrade cost from that previous version. But if it is not a
recent version the price may be more than you want to pay.