Re: Pinning apps to taskbar question

Mike B.

Hi All,

Please don't follow my previous steps, I didn't explain them well enough, so use these better explained steps instead.
If you have folder shortcuts on the desktop you don't get the Pin to Taskbar in the context menu option.

How you can get around this if you have a folder shortcut that you've created on the desktop and you want to pin it to the Taskbar is to do the following:

1. Highlight the desktop icon and press, Alt + Enter, to open the icon's properties.

2. When you open the icon's properties you'll be on the Shortcut page in the, Target field but, first go to the beginning of this line before typing anything by pressing the, Home, key.  Now type what's below.

explorer

That's the word, explorer , followed by a space

Tab to, Okay, and press enter to save / close the properties.

You should now get a, Pin to Taskbar, option in the context menu.

Here's a before and after example of how the Target field will read using the Downloads folder desktop shortcut icon as the example:
After opening the properties of the Downloads icon shortcut below is what's in the Target field.

C:\Users\Mike\Downloads

Now this is how the Target field will read after adding the word, explorer , followed by a space to the beginning of the Target field and pressing enter on the, Okay, button.

C:\Windows\explorer.exe C:\Users\Mike\Downloads

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.
If you have folder shortcuts on the desktop you don't get the Pin to Taskbar in the context menu option.

How you can get around this if you have a folder shortcut that you want to pin to the Taskbar,  try the following:
1. Highlight the desktop icon and press, Alt + Enter, to open the icon's properties.

2. When you open the icon's properties you'll be on the Shortcut page in the, Target field, and you want to add what's below, but read what's below character by character because you must include the space in what you type in.