From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Van Lant, Robin via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2022 9:54 AM
To: JFW List (jfw@groups.io) <jfw@groups.io>
Subject: my bank's login section - JAWS can't read it but narrator can

Hi,

I’ve appreciate some input here. It  seems that my bank changed something on the home page to get to the sign-in section. I cannot find the login section at all with JAWS  PC or JAWS cursor. I asked an AIRA agent for a visual description of what was happening. With that, I found that Narrator can find the section, but not JAWS.  I’ll describe the layout from the AIRA agent’s perspective, then   I’d appreciate knowing two things from some of you: I primarily use MS Edge, but did also try this on Chrome, with the same result.

Using JAWS, go to www.key.com.  Press B until you hear Sign-on button. If you click this, it says that the button is now expanded.  JAWS cannot find anything, reading instead a photo description of a woman and a mural. I even tried redrawing the screen and routing my JAWS cursor to the PC cursor.  What AIRA and Narrator show is that a little section appears below this expanded sign-on button where it mentions Online Banking, has buttons to Enroll and Sign-On and links for forgot your password.  Narrator reads these and I can click the sign-on button to open the actual log-in area.

  1. Are you able to find the expanded section with JAWS?
  2. We talk about always having two screen readers for cases like this, but do you think it’s reasonable that I’m still pushing back to the bank tech team to say this doesn’t work with JAWS?  I sent in feedback over the weekend, before I had even tested it with Narrator, so I cannot say that the site is completely inaccessible,  but I’m disappointed that JAWS isn’t reading that section once expanded.

Using Windows 10, JAWS 2022, Office 365.

Robin Van Lant

KeyCorp Public

KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. prohibits the use of texts or other unapproved messaging applications for business purposes.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114