moderated Re: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?

Glenn / Lenny

Hi James,
The biggest draw-back with NVDA is that the object navigation, or screen
review cursors don't read the screen as well as the Jaws cursor.
In NVDA the screen review sticks in the wrong window that needs inspection
and I cannot ever seem to get it to where I need focus.
NVDA cannot reliably read where the action is on the screen.
For example, I can use the radio programming software called Chirp in
windows, when others call it inaccessible.
But Chirp isn't easily accessible, and it helps that I've used the program
in Linux so I know the layout, and it's fully accessible there with Orca,
but in windows with Chirp, nothing automatically speaks.
This is where my familiarity with using it in Linux helps me to use it in
windows.
Chirp has all the usual pull-down menus and one called "radio"
In windows as well as in Linux, alt R and F and the other menus opens them
up using alt and the associated letter.
But in Linux, at this point after doing alt R, I can do alt D for download
from radio or alt U to upload to radio for example.
These don't work in Windows, and screenreaders aren't reading where the
cursor is.
So here's an example of the difference between Jaws and NVDA.
With Jaws, I can use the jaws cursor to read anywhere on the screen and I
use route jaws to PC.
So if I do alt R, I can route Jaws to PC and I'm then in the menu with Jaws
cursor, I can find download and then route PC to Jaws, and then I know that
pressing enter activates Download.
Then in this program, more of all this needs to be done to select com port,
maker of the radio, and then model of radio.
I also have to route Jaws cursor a few more times to use the left mouse
click on the number pad on some "okay" options and on the number next to
"don't show this again".
Fortunately, with Chirp, the last radio used comes up the next time and all
the settings for that radio are there, so that makes it easier.
So my point in all this is, NVDA just does not offer the same level of
control over what's on the screen and being able to manipulate it.
I'd like to hear a recording tutorial of an experienced NVDA user trying to
get through Chirp.
Glenn