moderated Re: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?

David Diamond

For example, if I am not using the braille display, or remote etc., I should be able to choose not to install those components through a custom dialogue, and not limited to specific one with the INI file. I have always chose "typical" installation over "custom" Thus I thought choosing "custom" you'd be able to pick and choose which programs you could install and ignore others.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cornelius
Sent: June 11, 2022 1:25 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?

For me it could be attributed to a few reasons, namely the OCR for PDFs, the easier marking of places in documents with Control+Win+K, and I simply just love the ability to work on various MS office programs with JAWS. The downside with JAWS, which I wish could be more customisable, would be related to installing various components. For example, if I am not using the braille display, or remote etc, I should be able to choose not to install those components through a custom dialogue, and not limited to specific one with the INI file.

One may argue that given the ability of NVDA to expand features through Add-on, to me it still isn't as robust as JAWS when dealing with OCR documents and MS Office.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Malone
Sent: Saturday, 11 June, 2022 4:04 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?

Hi all,
inspired from an earlier topic, I got to wondering:
What makes people keep coming back to Jaws over NVDA? I also want to emphasise that this is not a topic trying to bash one or the other, I'd really like to hear some opinions from the Jaws side. What do you think it does better? Where do you think it's weakness's are? I've been a long time NVDA user and occasionally dabbled in Jaws here and there over the past year or so. Something I commonly see is that Jaws still seems to have better braille support. I also don't know how many organisations would be super happy with the idea of putting NVDA on a work computer, so there's that. I used Jaws growing up, so I have a fair amount of experience in both readers. Using Jaws recently also told me that the overall look and feel hasn't really changed either, so there was next to no learning curve when it came to reacquainting myself. I know NV access have been working on this, but to my understanding Jaws also seems to have better UIA support, something that can only be a positive!
Looking forward to hearing from you,
James

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.