moderated Re: PDF files?

Kestrel Verlager <kestrell@...>

My experience is that almost all of the inaccessible forms are due to the people who originally create these forms not being fully knowledgeable or educated about how to create accessible forms. Many of them believe that you can simply create a form in Word and have it convert to PDF and everything will be accessible. Others think that creating a visual line for a signature or other piece of data to be entered will be accessible to a screen reader.

This is aside from the huge issue of how many of these inaccessible forms are old forms which have not been remediated, or can't be remediated for various reasons or, probably the largest category, no one is even aware that they are inaccessible to screen reader users because no one has told them so.

So yes, Freedom Scientific and Adobe should continue to increase accessibility features and awareness, but there also needs to be a lot more education when it comes to creating accessible forms themselves.

Kestrell

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cornelius
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2022 9:50 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: PDF files?

Perhaps we should suggest to FS to conduct a WebInAr on editing and filling a PDF form using the Acrobat pro. More often than not, I have to do it the manual way, which is to print out the form, have a sighted person fill it and I would scan it back to PDF.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dacia Cole
Sent: Friday, 10 June, 2022 9:55 PM

I have the same issue. I was trying to fill out a form that was supposedly supposed to be a fillable PDF the other day, and when I tried to OCR it even see what it said it said that it was a scan image and may not work properly. I was able to open it in chrome and read it, but there was no way I could fill it out. I believe I have Adobe acrobat DC Pro. I am using jaws 2022 and either windows 10 or 11 I’m not sure which one my work has. But the fact that PDFs are so universally used and aren’t always made accessible is very frustrating.
On Jun 10, 2022, at 8:16 AM, Kestrel Verlager <kestrell@...> wrote:

I just started a new job this week also, and there is some sort of squabble over transferring a Jaws license, so I'm trying to go from a sometimes-NVDA user to a all-the-time NVDA user overnight. And I'm supposed to be creating accessibility reports in Excel with NVDA.

Excel makes me miss PDF.

Kestrell

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Christine
Laton
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2022 9:03 AM

Hi,

I’m with you–just started a new job with a decent amount of PDF use. It seems like forms are pretty accessible, but I would definitely ask for the pro version if not already given to you.

Maybe we can tag team on things we figure out. I have to figure out how to trim pages today.

Christine

On Jun 10, 2022, at 12:15 AM, Claudia <claudiadr2013@...> wrote:

Hello, I started a new job this week and they do a lot with PDF files. On my previous job, I really had no issue with this. I used the latest version of Jaws but there are a lot of forms that require us to fill them out. Is there any way to reasonably do this using jars? Also, since Jaws has built in OCR, is there even a need for me to request for cro while, as another accommodation, at this point? Thanks.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.