moderated Re: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?

Gerald Levy

For me, the biggest advantage of JAWS over NVDA is that the former offers Eloquence voices by default, while the latter offers an incomprehensible Australian voice by default.  Eloquence is only available in NVDA as a paid download, and even then, there have been reports that it does not work especially well. And I am not especially fond of the additional free Microsoft Speech Platform voices which can be used with NVDA, none of which matches the clairty and comprehensibility of Eloquence to my ears. So I use NVDA mostly as a backup in case JAWS stops speaking.

Gerald

On 6/11/2022 4:03 AM, James Malone wrote:
Hi all,
inspired from an earlier topic, I got to wondering:
What makes people keep coming back to Jaws over NVDA? I also want to
emphasise that this is not a topic trying to bash one or the other,
I'd really like to hear some opinions from the Jaws side. What do you
think it does better? Where do you think it's weakness's are? I've
been a long time NVDA user and occasionally dabbled in Jaws here and
there over the past year or so. Something I commonly see is that Jaws
still seems to have better braille support. I also don't know how many
organisations would be super happy with the idea of putting NVDA on a
work computer, so there's that. I used Jaws growing up, so I have a
fair amount of experience in both readers. Using Jaws recently also
told me that the overall look and feel hasn't really changed either,
so there was next to no learning curve when it came to reacquainting
myself. I know NV access have been working on this, but to my
understanding Jaws also seems to have better UIA support, something
that can only be a positive!
Looking forward to hearing from you,
James