moderated The Newest Version of Microsoft Quick Assist

Curtis Chong

Hello everyone:

Microsoft has, as some of you may know, released a newer version of its Quick Assist program. This program is the one used by the Microsoft Disability Answer Desk to gain access to your computer when you require remote assistance from a Disability Answer Desk agent.

It has been reported that when you start the newest version of Quick Assist, you can only enter the code required by the Microsoft agent if you stop JAWS and start Narrator and turn on Narrator’s Scan Mode. This is quite frustrating for many of us. When I contacted Vispero Technical Support about this issue, the technician verified that this is, in fact, a problem and that Microsoft is supposed to fix it.

I am pleased to tell you all that there is a work-around to this problem—a work-around which I found by accident when working with the main screen displayed by my Carbonite backup software. Here is how to make the Quick Assist screen accessible to JAWS.

1.      Start Quick Assist. If you press CTRL+WINDOWS+Q to do this, you will, alas, be taken to the older version of this software.

2.      Once you have Quick Assist up and running, Alt Tab to ensure focus is in the Quick Assist Window. Then, perform a JAWS Convenient OCR against the window: INSERT+SPACE, o, then w.

3.      Use the JAWS cursor to move around the window and perform a JAWS Left Click (Number Pad slash key) while focused on any text. What should happen is that the text is now in a virtual window which you navigate as if you were on a web page. Now, when asked to enter a code, you can do so without having to stop JAWS.

I hope this information is useful to the company assembled.

Warmly,

Curtis Chong