moderated Re: very annoying issue whenever I open Edge

Adrian Spratt

I must say I'm having a similar difficulty getting to this area, and I've followed Bill's instructions to the letter. Edge's settings seem to work differently on different systems.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Karen Reynolds
Sent: Monday, June 6, 2022 3:39 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: very annoying issue whenever I open Edge

Hi Madison,
When you do the Alt F and settings, be sure to tab to get into what you want and then you can down arrow to it. I ran into the same issue as you did and then I realized Bill said tab. I did that and it was there.

Karen

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Madison Martin
Sent: Monday, June 6, 2022 2:55 PM

Thanks for this Bill; however when I go to settings the only stuff that shows up is things about my profile, there don't seem to be any other categories. Any idea why this might be and what I can do about it?

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: June 6, 2022 1:40 PM

Hi, Madison. All this annoying stuff is in Settings>Privacy, search and services, in Edge.

1. Open Edge.
2. Press ALT plus F, followed by the letter S for Settings.
3. TAB once to the settings categories, and arrow down to Privacy, Search and Services, and press ENTER.
4. There will be several Check boxes, and you don't want them to say checked, if you don't want to hear about them when you are in Edge.
5. The check boxes are as follows, with new ones being added in new updates,

Save time and money with Shopping in Microsoft Edge Show opportunities to support causes and nonprofits you care about Show travel recommendations in Microsoft Edge

The other thing you might want to turn off is also in Settings, (ALT plus F, followed by S), under the category, Edge Bar.

Automatically open Edge bar when the computer starts

Make sure this is unchecked, or you may have all sorts of suggestions popping up.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Madison Martin
Sent: Monday, June 6, 2022 10:33 AM
Subject: very annoying issue whenever I open Edge

Hi all,
Whenever I open Microsoft Edge to do a search I either get breaking news alerts or search suggestions (Amazon, Facebook and many other things) before I've even typed anything into the search box. Before anyone asks these are not things that I set up previously that I now want to get rid of Can anyone tell me how to stop both of these things from happening? Using latest versions of Edge, Jaws and Windows 11.
Madison

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.