moderated Re: AccessiByeBye!

Sean Murphy

All,

The root issue with such technology outlined in this thread is the developers, User Experience and Designers are not being educated or upskilled in Accessibility. If they understood accessibility correctly, included in their standard way-of-working, etc, etc. We wouldn’t need these tools. They are a band-aid approach hiding the true root issue. Product teams do not consider everyone when they design. They are not using correct Human Centric Design which is a discipline in creating services, goods and products. Accessibility teams have a hard enough time in getting these teams to fix issues. The stats of disable people vs the main stream is low. We as a community is responsible to improve this engagement and stats. As metrics speak louder than complaints. If they get 1000 complaints saying hey I cannot use your tool, then this has a ripple effect throughout the company. As the Product Owners metrics are impacted.

The other issue is the disability community as a whole is not vocal enough or vocal in the right way. How many people send complaints to the companies for specific web sites; ring their support desk; does the company track such information; does the company action on such complaints; etc. A conference my wife attended for Print Disabilities highlighted this point from one of the vendors. They are trying to bring in a solution into shopping centres and their answers: No one who is blind goes to our shops. I have heard the same comeback from a range of tech companies as well.

I am not talking about utilising the ADA, as this is a stick. If they know they have a vocal disability community who will walk away from their services and tell everyone. This impacts their brand and bottom line. This what counts for companies.

Sean

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Saturday, 4 June 2022 4:02 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: AccessiByeBye!

Yes, I understand the problem. I was just passing on information requested by Andy.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Friday, June 3, 2022 10:25 PM

The trouble with only using something like this, and not contacting the company with the page in question is, that just like if you do the keystroke to use the overlay, this add-on won't let the owner of the page and paying for the overlay, that we are, or aren't using it or even blocking it.

So we aren't doing our part to get rid of the problem.

Glenn

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2022 12:20 AM

Hi, again, Tony. Here is a review of

Overview

Compatible with your device

Web accessibility overlays don't work. Wave them all bye-bye in one easy step, with AccessiByeBye!

If you use a screen reader and have been prompted to press a hotkey to turn on some website's screen reader mode, you've likely encountered the category of website add-ons known as accessibility overlays. These include services like AccessiBe, EqualWeb, MaxAccess, and UserWay.

We know that while these overlays are supposed to make websites more accessible, they're actually annoying and often counter-productive. That's why we made AccessiByeBye, a simple browser extension that blocks these overlays.

Just install AccessiByeBye into your browser, and those pesky overlays won't bother you again. There's no catch. We don't collect your web browsing habits or other personal information, and the AccessiByeBye extension won't slow down your browser or computer. If you ever decide you do want one of those overlays, it's easy to turn off the extension at any time.

At Pneuma Solutions, we're all in favor of any tools that truly improve accessibility. So if any of the accessibility overlays that we block actually become useful to the people that they claim to serve, then we'll remove those blocks. But until then, we believe that the spread of accessibility overlays is hindering true improvements in website accessibility.

You may read more by clicking the link below.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/accessibyebye/ikcamkknjfdplkdjjncobgmpciklohjg?hl=en

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tony Sohl
Sent: Friday, June 3, 2022 3:05 PM
Subject: AccessiByeBye!

Hi there is an extention for chrome called AccessiByeBye! It is from

the company pnuma solutions formally serotech.

I believe you can install it on chrome and use it with any screenreader.

The website is:

https://pneumasolutions.com/

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.