moderated Re: reading pdfs

Karen Reynolds

Hi Tim,
There are quite a few options in the setup and you can run that at any time and change them. Sometimes I just keep making changes until I get it to work.

The one I worked on yesterday had lots of words where they were split in the middle and parts attached to either word on each side of it. I do have to admit that once I get a pdf cleaned up and into a txt file, I save it. I don't want to repeat that process with it again later. It isn't perfect, Adobe could do more to make pdfs accessible, but there are some tricks that can be tried.

Also, I've noticed that with the first option, when you change the reading order, arrow down and check the check box to say don't show this to me again. If you don't, the next pdf won't read because that box is trying to come up and sometimes Jaws doesn't read the dialog box, especially for me when I'm impatient. <smile> It takes awhile to come up and during that time from opening the pdf until then, if I do anything on the computer it won't read the dialog box and I have to close the pdf and open it again and wait, or go back into the edit menu and into accessibility and try it again.

Karen

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim Ford
Sent: Friday, June 3, 2022 8:21 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: reading pdfs

Karen,

I just spent around a dozen hours dealing with a PDF document conversion. I had all the issues you mentioned. I also found a very weird bug that I have seen before, where there are a number of miss-spelled words. In this document, the letter I was missing in random words, and for all occurrences of that word throughout the 68 page document. Adobe has tried to be more accessible, but their product seems to miss the mark. Thanks again for your recommendation; not sure why my Adobe was not already set correctly.

Tim
that I had to post to a special web site

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Karen Reynolds
Sent: Friday, June 3, 2022 5:05 AM

Hi Tim,
Love the snark.

I spent part of yesterday copying a pdf and pasting it into notepad, then because it was in columns, I had to put it in the right order. Some pages were correct, some copied the right column and then the left. I couldn't get Jaws to read the pdf very well which is why I copied and pasted it into notepad. I tried the OCR and that didn't work well either. Sometimes it takes time to play around with the settings to get Jaws to read pdfs correctly. I do know that if the pdf is not a graphic that using the first option and changing the way it reads to left to right top to bottom usually works. If it is a graphic usually the OCR works. I have had to print them sometimes and scanning them back into the computer using Openbook.

Entertaining not being able to see, isn't it?

Karen

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim Ford
Sent: Friday, June 3, 2022 7:19 AM

Boy, what a thrill to receive this email, and have all my PDF reading problems disappear! Thank you!

Tim Ford

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Karen Reynolds
Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2022 11:58 PM

Open Adobe.
Press Alt E.
Up arrow twice to accessibility.
Right arrow to Change reading options and press enter.
or down arrow once to Setup assistant and press enter.

Karen

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Justin Williams
Sent: Friday, June 3, 2022 1:42 AM

Where are the accessibility features?

Justin

Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2022 2:02 PM

HI,
I find that even with using adobe Acrobat Reader that I still have to play around with the accessibility settings with some pdf files.
Others I have given up on and arrow down to them in my documents and I think it is either application key or right mouse button and arrow down to OCR and let it run and open it in a document.

Karen

On 6/2/22, David Kingsbury <davidkingsbury77@...> wrote:
Hi,
As Kestrell and others have pointed out, you can run into various
problems with PDF's. For best results generally, use Adobe Acrobat
Reader rather than one of the browser PDF readers. And you can read
about the vvarious issues encountered and how to deal with them in Chapter 10 of my book.
Regards,
David

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.