Re: Virtualizing current control

Bill White

Hi, Karen. Usually, you told me, that it happens in Outlook. So, if you are in the Inbox, and you have 128 messages, when you virtualize the control, you will see a list of the messages currently visible on the screen. This last phrase is important, because you can't interact with the screen in this mode. So, if you look at the total screen that is visible, you will see all your messages on that screen, but you won't be able to open, delete, move them or anything else. It is just a reading mode. They used to call these reading modes screen review modes. The reason Virtual Control Mode doesn't work on webpages is that they had to put the browsers in a continuous virtual mode because of the way they are made now. So if you put outlook into Virtual Control mode, all you will be able to do is to read what is on the screen. In order to exit this mode, you must press ESCAPE. the benefit of this mode is that you can see the size, date, time, etc. of messages, and read through the information. Outside of virtual mode, you can hear the information, but you can't arrow through it, read it, copy it, etc.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Karen Reynolds
Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2022 5:18 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Virtualizing current control

HI Bill,

So, I’m confused. This virtualizing shortcut doesn’t do anything on web pages. Can you give me a more specific example of what it does do?

Karen

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2022 7:49 PM

Hi, Karen. If you find a link, and use that shortcut, you are probably on a webpage. If you are using Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge, it is probably going to tell you that the current location is already in a virtual view. To get the actual URL from a link, you usually focus on the link, press the Applications key, arrow down to copy, then read the URL by using WINDOWS Key plus JAWS Key plus X to read what is in the clipboard. This is a good way to find out if a link is trying to take you to a scam website where you don't want to go.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Karen Reynolds
Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2022 4:32 PM

Hi Bill,

So if I arrow or tab down to a link and use this shortcut, it will tell me the web address of the link?

Karen

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2022 5:52 PM

Hi, Karen. If there is a button or other control that you can press by focusing on it, and pressing Space or Enter, pressing INSERT plus SHIFT plus V puts that control in a virtual view. A virtual view is one in which you can look at the control without actually causing it to do what it does when you press Enter or Space on it. It is a way of looking at the controls on the screen without actually clicking on it, the way a sighted person would do by looking at it.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2022 2:38 PM
Subject: Virtualizing current control

Hi,

I frequently accidentally press the v instead of b when I am wanting to check the amount of batter time left before needing to charge my laptop. Normally I press insert plus shift plus the letter b. sometimes I mess up and hit v. What is the window that pops up that is “virtualizing current control”? If I do the same thing in an Outlook message it says “No text in current window”, even when there is text there. What is this shortcut key function?

Karen

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.