moderated Re: Very strange computer issue

Jeff Christiansen

The laptop does not sound that old.

Is the environment the laptop is being used in, a dusty place? Are there pets in the house?

Is it possible to elevate the laptop so as to increase breathing and heat shedding? So books stacked underneath would not be ideal for  getting space between the desk and the underside of the laptop.

Have you finally powered-off the laptop? Was it possible to do this and if so, how has the behavior of the laptop been since then?

Sent: Wednesday, May 4, 2022 9:14 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Very strange computer issue

Hi Jim,

Possibly overheating?

If you aren't comfortable removing the panels from the bottom to access the fan for a cleaning with a can of air, a computer store can do this for you.

I've seen dusty fans cause a laptop to heat up, and then it shuts down.

Glenn

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2022 10:07 AM

Subject: Very strange computer issue

Good morning everyone,

I am a bit surprised and at a loss as to what to do.

I have a very good and nice laptop that I purchased a little over a year ago. It’s one of the best I’ve had.

Yesterday, I was about to attend a function via Zoom when I noticed that even while it was closed and supposedly off, it rebooted itself. I knew that because the Windows startup sound came up.

The battery was at 86% at the time.

I actually opened the computer to see if it was on, but it wasn’t, so I pushed the power button, and it supposedly booted as normal. Once I went through getting going and getting my Zoom room set up, I noticed JAWS stopped talking, and a few seconds later, it rebooted again.

I thought it might be doing Windows updates, but that was not the case.

I went through everything again, and while I waited for my people to come to my zoom room, I went to Outlook to check email. I heard a click, the computer turned off and began rebooting again. After doing this a couple more times and being very tired from the general day, I gave up and closed my laptop and just left it plugged in. Sure enough, from the other room, I heard the faint sound of the Windows Startup sound.

I’ve never seen this happen before. I could understand an update doing several reboots, but this was not the case.

Does anyone have any good suggestions? Again, this is a great laptop and has served me well, until yesterday.

Thanks.

Jim

I couldn’t tell if anything was going on,

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.