moderated Re: Hover over an item


Great. Will keep this in mind too.

From: David Goldfield
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2022 12:40 AM
Subject: Re: Hover over an item

Hi. Not sure how relevant this is and I admit I haven’t used this keystroke in ages but there’s also insert-ctrl-enter. Here’s the keyboard help text for this key.

Performs the control enter keystroke, which acts as OnMouseOver, to provide more options for a given web page element.

Many elements contain more options available by moving the mouse over the element or with the press of the control enter keystroke. Press this keystroke

to access these OnMouseOver options.



David Goldfield,

Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist

JAWS Certified, 2022

NVDA Certified Expert


Subscribe to the Tech-VI announcement list to receive emails regarding news and events in the blindness assistive technology field.






From: <> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2022 12:30 PM
Subject: Re: Hover over an item


Hovering simply means getting the mouse pointer (the actual one) positioned above the object (regardless of what it is) without clicking on it.  This often triggers an informational "blurb" to pop up in its own little viewport.  Sometimes screen readers see and read hover-over messages, other times they don't, probably directly dependent on how the viewport was implemented.

I thought I had recalled that JAWS had implemented a specific single letter browsing shortcut for items that have hover-over properties set, and in looking at the JAWS 2022 Keyboard Shortcuts document I see that my memory is correct.  The JAWS command is semicolon and it's describes as Next Mouse Over Element.  You can also press CTRL + Insert + semicolon to get a list of all such elements on the page.

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
     ~ Lauren Bacall

Join to automatically receive all group messages.