moderated Re: accessibility of that discounted Office license

Van Lant, Robin

Brian,

You wrote, “I used Office 2010 after it was out of support, but not Outlook, as I don't like using anything that has constant contact with cyberspace as part of its operating requirements after it goes out of support”.  I’m curious if you just identified an issue I’ve been having with Outlook for the past maybe 2 years. I’m running a retail license ofOffice  2016 on my home PC and at some point, I started getting these pop ups requiring that I enter my Microsoft password to get my email to sync.  The box was initially not very accessible with JAWS and I can still get into a pickle when I don’t’ realize the box has popped up.  It’s been on my to do list to call Microsoft to ask why I cannot just have Outlook remember my password.  It never prompts me for the password for my secondary email account that is also a MSN.COM account. My laptop password is not the same as my Microsoft store and primary email account, so I figured that was the issue, but I’m annoyed that I have to enter my password on a regularbasis when it should remember me.  I’ll go look for Office updates.  Does this sound like what you were getting at with your comment about cyber connection being a requirement?

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2022 10:35 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: accessibility of that discounted Office license

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 09:15 PM, Tony wrote:

Office 2016 on two machines that I purchased a few years ago for $25 each.  They are still being updated.

-
Office 2016 is still in extended support, and will be so until 2025.  See:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/microsoft-office-2016

But all of the installable versions of Office are on a fixed life cycle, and, eventually, support ends.  But even after support has ended, it's still possible to use them.  I used Office 2010 after it was out of support, but not Outlook, as I don't like using anything that has constant contact with cyberspace as part of its operating requirements after it goes out of support.  This is particularly so right after when something goes out of support, as that's the timeframe where hackers know there remains a large embedded base of users who did not move along to a supported version out there.

     ~ Lauren Bacall

KeyCorp Public

KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. prohibits the use of texts or other unapproved messaging applications for business purposes.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114