Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2022 5:52 PM
Subject: Re: accessibility of that discounted Office license

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 07:47 PM, Van Lant, Robin wrote:
I guess I’m confused, as I thought Microsoft had gone fully to Office 365, so I’m wondering if this Office 2021 is essentially the same as a current version of Office 365 and, if by “lifetime” it means it will keep upgrading.
-
1. I, like Mr. Diamond, look upon this deep a discount with some skepticism.

2. Microsoft has not gone fully to Office 365, although they'd love the world to do that.  Office 2021 was not even supposed to be released, but there was a large enough contingent that raised a stink about wanting an installable, and perpetual/lifetime license, to get Microsoft to do another standalone release.

3. Lifetime has never, ever, meant lifetime updates.  You can still use Office 2003, if you have it, and have it installed.  It stopped updating years ago.  Contrast that with a subscription service, like Microsoft 365, where it's far more like an annual lease.  As soon as your lease is up, and you elect not to renew it, so is your access.

The old saying, "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is," applies.  Caveat emptor.

     ~ Lauren Bacall