moderated Re: changing how jaws speaks a word

Steve Nutt

That’s where Braille is so much better than speech in my view, there is so much more information, like layout etc, that you miss with speech.

Even spellings get missed, I saw on a list that someone today was asking about the Cardio scales. In fact it is not Cardio with a C, it is Qardio with a Q. They missed that, because of speech, but I knew it because of Braille.

Long live Braille!

All the best

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: 07 April 2022 14:51
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: changing how jaws speaks a word

I’m surprised that anyone would discourage JAWS users from taking advantage of the dictionary. One reason, as Karen says, is that JAWS can pump incorrect pronunciations into our heads that are difficult to remove, such as unusual names. I also find that, because I have JAWS set to a relatively high speed, I’m accustomed to ignoring words I don’t hear clearly, especially when I’m skimming. Often it’s because JAWS and/or my synthesizer is mispronouncing them. Not good for reading comprehension.

Beyond that, if you read for pleasure and the texts are difficult, mispronunciations make them that much harder and detract from your appreciation.

--

My novel Caroline is now available in paperback, Kindle and audiobook versions: https://adrianspratt.com/book/

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Karen Reynolds
Sent: Thursday, April 7, 2022 8:54 AM

Hi Mike and others,

Thank you so much for answering my question. I knew there was a way, but couldn’t remember it.

Normally I don’t change things either, but this one really stood out as odd. And I’ve noticed that I’ve been pronouncing names of people the way Jaws says them. That causes some to look at me funny, like who are you talking about. I thought if I fixed some of them, I would say their names correctly.

Karen

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Wednesday, April 6, 2022 11:10 PM

You want to modify the Jaws dictionary.  If you only want to change the pronunciation of this word while in a specific program try the following.

1. Open the specific app / program and press, Insert + D, to open the Jaws dictionary for this app / program.

2. Tab to, Add, press the spacebar to open.  You're in the, Actual word edit field, so type the word as it actually is. 

3. Tab once to the, Replacement field, and type the word the way you want it to be pronounced by Jaws.

4. Now tab through the other dialogues making any settings changes you feel you might need to make, which there shouldn't be any, until you get to the, Okay button, and press the spacebar.

4. Now press, Control + S, to save and, Alt + F4, to close.

If you want this dictionary change to be in effect for all programs do it this way:

1. Press, Insert + D, to open the Jaws dictionary, then press, Control, Shift + D, to open the Jaws default dictionary.

2. Tab to, Add, press the spacebar to open.  You're in the, Actual word edit field, so type the word as it actually is. 

3. Tab once to the, Replacement field, and type the word the way you want it to be pronounced by Jaws.

4. Now tab through the other dialogues making any settings changes you feel you might need to make, which there shouldn't be any, until you get to the, Okay button, and press the spacebar.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2022 6:00 PM

Subject: changing how jaws speaks a word

Hi,

I was reading about the Great Lakes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes

I was going through by headings and one of them is sewage, which if you are listening to this you will discover it is pronounced incorrectly. It should be sueage, or that is as close as I can get to it. How do I change how Jaws speaks this word to speak it correctly? Also, when there are updates will it keep it?

Karen

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.