From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: 07 April 2022 14:51
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: changing how jaws speaks a word

I’m surprised that anyone would discourage JAWS users from taking advantage of the dictionary. One reason, as Karen says, is that JAWS can pump incorrect pronunciations into our heads that are difficult to remove, such as unusual names. I also find that, because I have JAWS set to a relatively high speed, I’m accustomed to ignoring words I don’t hear clearly, especially when I’m skimming. Often it’s because JAWS and/or my synthesizer is mispronouncing them. Not good for reading comprehension.

Beyond that, if you read for pleasure and the texts are difficult, mispronunciations make them that much harder and detract from your appreciation.

--

My novel Caroline is now available in paperback, Kindle and audiobook versions: https://adrianspratt.com/book/