From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, April 7, 2022 3:54 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: changing how jaws speaks a word

On Thu, Apr 7, 2022 at 06:05 PM, Bill White wrote:

having the spelling of a word or name won't guarantee that you will get the correct pronunciation correctly

-
That's for sure.  Even for simple words, like, "cup," you can get some interesting results.

I remember working on a recipe card where, when you put in 2 cups flour, you got, "two Cuban pesos flour."  However, just changing the 'c' on "cup" to a capital made the synth say "cup."

The mysteries of how and when certain pronunciation choices get made, and when certain things are interpreted as abbreviations versus words, are deep.

     ~ Lauren Bacall