moderated Re: back ups

On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 09:23 AM, Dave Durber wrote:
One more thing, as an individual who no longer has any vision, I have been using Terabyte's Backup and Restore suite, Otherwise called, Image for Windows, for 9 years. During that time, I have never needed any assistance from anyone, to restore any backed up image, whether it be a system image or data image to any drive for any system.
-
Said without the slightest trace of snark:  Good for you!

If you (the generic you) are able to use a talking Windows PE to do a full system image restore, more power to you.

That's not going to change my position, and not just about my blind clients, that most computer users will never even attempt one on their own.  The important, nay, critical thing is to be taking backups so that, should disaster strike, someone is able to restore from them.  Very often, that someone is not you, and there's no shame in that.

People hire techs such as myself all the time to do things like setting up their systems, getting their peripherals set up, configuring their WiFi, turning off the media keys function on computers where that must be done in BIOS/UEFI, and more.  Given the fact that, if you are very lucky, you will never need to restore from a backup being able to do so independently, regardless of your visual status, should be way down the list of concerns.  Having that insurance policy to fall back on, even if you hire someone else to do the work, should be at the top.

The big problem is that far, far, far too many people still do not take routine system image backups and end up losing everything as a direct result of that "lack of practice" when a catastrophic drive failure occurs.

Friendship. . . Intimacy, untroubled by eros.

         ~ Kim Chernin