From: "Marquette, Ed" <Ed.Marquette@KutakRock.com>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2012 3:41 AM
Subject: RE: highlighted text

Jean:
Dave is correct. The sighted world will often refer to something that is in
yellow as being highlighted. Nevertheless, I am going to go out on a limb
here because what has happened to you has happened to me too.
In Word 2003 there is an obscure function called highlighting which produces
a color change but, in fact, isn't, in the world of Word, a font color
change at all.
Do this:
Press ALT.
Then press control plus tap several times -- until JAWS says "display for
review"
This is the tool bar that lets you "accept" and "reject" text. I know this
seems like an unlikely place for "highlighting," but trust me this far.
Now, hit tab about 7 times (shift plus tab is closer, but I think it helps
just to hear all the options on this tool bar.
If you get past "comments," the tool bar item you want is next.
This tool bar item is, in fact, called "highlighting."
Use down arrow. The first option is "none." Other options include
"yellow," "red," and "green."
Now, you know where the culprit is, how do you get rid of the
"highlighting?"
Remember, this is technically not a font change, so control plus d won't
work.
As Dave said, use the scheme "Colors" and identify the text that is in a
different color. Usually, it is "yellow, but as you saw, it could be green
or red too.
Once it is "selected," go into the tool bar item I mentioned and choose
"none."
That will solve your problem. No more highlighting!
Now, you ask, "Do I have to read every line to find this "highlighted"
text."
Actually, you can search for it.
Press control plus f.
Make sure nothing is in the search box. Press back space just to be sure.
Then, tab forward until you hear "more." Hit the space bar.
Now, keep tabbing until you hear "format."
This lets you search for all sorts of formatting stuff, including, guess
what, "highlighting"
Hit down arrow until you hear "highlighting."
Complete the search. That should put you on the proper text. Double check
with the cursor and the "colors" scheme, as mentioned above.
Again, as mentioned above, "select" the text and, from the tool bar item,
select "none."
Repeat the find operation with shift plus F-4 to find other occurrences.
Do not feel bad that you didn't know about this "highlighting" feature. As
you can see from the above, it is pretty obscure.