moderated Re: Dialog of heading list: JAWS versus NVDA

Van Lant, Robin

I haven’t really looked for the heading level filters in the dialog, but that could be interesting.  I am not an NVDA user, so cannot speak to that tree view approach per se.  I could see how this could be preferable to some to get a feel for the structural layout, but I wouldn’t necessarily want to have to expand each heading.  Sometimes I find that page creators are using headings for visual effect and the headings they use may not really indicate structure as we would want. Sometimes I just want to see the full layout in a list to preview the entire content, which is where I would not want to have to expand each level to see this quickly.  So, I guess I’m content with the JAWS method, but would adapt to the NVDA approach if it were in use.

Robin

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark
Sent: Saturday, February 5, 2022 6:39 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Dialog of heading list: JAWS versus NVDA

I think that NDVA's representation of the heading structures as a tree view reflects the nested structure of headings better than JAWS.  JAWS uses a tree view in the regions dialog.  Tree views also allow folding.  However, I just realized, that JAWS heading list dialog has access keys, like alt + 2 to filter just the heading levels 2 in the list box. That's kind of interesting. It makes it easy to just review a level of headings.  I can now see a case why the JAWS way is more user friendly.  Do others use the alt access keys in the heading list dialog to filter and I'm just late to the party?

KeyCorp Public

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114