moderated Re: Search functionality in Gmail standard view

I know it isn't generally done on these groups, for kinda obvious reasons, but a screenshot after this has occurred would help me.  I've never had Gmail search be unavailable if I'm in a place where a search is appropriate.  I can't picture what confluence of events would cause it to not be available when in a mailbox.