moderated Re: Jaws and OCR?

Debby Hill

Hi All,

Just to make sure everyone is on the same page:

Acrobat DC is the free version to read PDF files. It cannot do ocr on a file. If are using it and you get the “empty document) message you will need to use JAWS Convenient OCR. (If you decide to download Acrobat DC, be careful to uncheck the various boxes so that you don’t download something that you don’t want.)

Acrobat Pro is a paid version that can do ocr. It has been almost 6 years since I used it, so I can’t precisely remember how to get it to do OCR on an “empty document,” but it seems that it was pretty automatic.

You can use JAWS Convenient OCR on a file in file explorer or your documents without opening the file. Just use the application key or shift F10 and arrow down the list to find it. I think this will probably work whether or not you have Acrobat DC or Acrobat Pro on your machine, but I am not completely sure.

I hope that helps a bit.

Happy New Year!

Debby