moderated Re: Outlook.com account question

If you allow Outlook to set up your account, that is, you just give it the e-mail address and, when prompted, the password, it will take care of setting up the retrieval protocol without any additional intervention.   And it will always choose the following protocols, in this order, if they are available for a given email service provider:

1. Microsoft Exchange  (most secure and optimized for Outlook)
2. IMAP
3. POP3

I cannot recall the last time I've had any account set up by either Outlook or Thunderbird (which also does automatic configuration) using POP3 protocol.

What the e-mail client "configurators" choose is virtually always best left alone.