moderated Re: Alt Key Not Working for Accessing Menus

Curtis Chong

Hello David:

May I assume here that you have already determined that the ribbon is not collapsed? I have actually experienced this problem a lot but resolve this by not tapping Alt but by pressing Alt with H instead to get to the Home Tab. This is one of many inconsistencies that new students find confusing with JAWS<smile>.

Curtis

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Kingsbury
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2021 9:37 AM
To: JAWS Discussion List <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: Alt Key Not Working for Accessing Menus

Hi all,

I am a tech instructor, and from time to time, I get a client whose Alt key acts strangely. That is, when they press the Alt key, the ribbon or dropdown menus do not appear. When I ask them to press Alt in combination with another key (for example, Alt H for the Home tab), it works. But this inconsistency is annoying. All are using up to date versions of JAWS, Windows 10, and MS Office, so outdated software is not the problem. If I remember correctly, we also tried temporarily switching to Narrator, but that didn’t do anything. It also didn’t matter whether we used the left or the right Alt key. In some cases, rebooting the computer worked, at least for some time, in other cases, it didn’t help at all. Any suggestions on how to fix this obnoxious problem?

Thanks,

David

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.