moderated Re: Employment with the Federal Government?

Brian Zolo

Hey there, Claudia, Brian Zolo here in Gahanna, Ohio, feel free to call me BZ, grin!  I just retired from the departmetn of defense after 35 years of service.  It all depdns on what agency you work for and how seriously they take reasonable accomodation.  I first started out with the defense logistics agency and they now do have an excellent section 508 program and a section 508 help desk.  They’ve learned a lesson as it took a class action suit from blind employees but they learned a positive lesson from that and now have a great program.  I then switched to the defense information systems agency in 1999 and my last year of employment with them I actually worked in their reasonable accomodation division.  I’m a firm believer in accentuating the positive and always tried to approach them in a positive manner but when the rubber met the road, the defense information systems agency didn’t want to spend the money necessary to be fully section 508 compliant.  I certainly was blessed to work with some awesome folks but in my exit interview before retirement, I told my supervisor that there was far too much we can’t in disa.  So your mileage will vary depending upon what federal agency you work for.  Let me know if I can be of further assistance, have a great day!  BZ! 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Claudia
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2021 10:23 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Employment with the Federal Government?

Hello All,

Is anyone who is totally blind currently employed, with the federal government?

If so, could I reach out with some questions related to JAWS and accessibility of the government data bases?

Thanks.

Claudia

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.