moderated Re: email client question

Van Lant, Robin

And could there be a setting by the owner where  you can only send a certain number of message to a given group in a day?  I have a group where that is the expected group rule, but I don’t know if it’s an actual setting that can be adjusted by the owner.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2021 1:17 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: email client question

Just so it's on record, I have opened an issue with Groups.io.

I actually believe that what's being seen with those bounce messages is the result of a specific setting the group owner has on where if you try to send any message after you've subscribed and replied to the confirm message, but where they have not yet approved your membership, results in a bounce.  And that bounce message makes it appear as though the groups.io address you're sending to does not exist, but it does.

I did some testing earlier with an outlook address with a testing group and got bounce messages back after having confirmed my subscription up until I approved that outlook address used for group membership.  Most groups are not set up to require approval of group membership (though they can be); you most often have automatic membership acceptance upon subscribing and your first message is held until the group owner or moderator approves it.

If this turns out to be the case for the groups issuing those bounce messages, I'll let everyone know once I have an answer back from Groups.io support.  I suspect it will be, and it has nothing to do with whether outlook.com is the domain from which the requests come or not.

KeyCorp Public

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114