From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of epierce@surewest.net
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 10:00 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Re: No, Thanks -- Live, Free Telephone Helpfor setting-up Peachtree Complete Accounting

I would encourage you to lobby them to get 64 bit Windows 7 for you, especially if you need to run something beastly like Peachtree.

There are some disadvantages to a 64 bit OS. 64 bit drivers for older peripherals such as a printers/scanners can be harder to find than 32 bit drivers. Some legacy software might run better in 32 bit "compatibility" mode.

If you do not have to worry about old legacy software or old peripherals, 64 bit and >= 6GB RAM is probably an excellent choice for people seeking performance improvements.

At some point in the future 32 bit software will be obsolete, just as 16 bit and 8 bit software is now almost completely obsolete.

If I remember correctly, Windows Server 2008 does not have a 32 bit version.

Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 07:00:52 -0700
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com (on behalf of "Farfar Back to the
Salt Mines" <dgcarlson@sbcglobal.net>)
Peachtree Complete Accounting
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
... I see that I'll not be installing this application any time soon
for this one comment you made:

"We have also revised the Guide to be a bit more specific about system
requirements; in particular, lots of RAM. Personally, my laptop has
eighth gigabytes of RAM. We recommend that amount. I have observed
that, with six or less gigabytes of RAM, the system bogs-down. This
is a natural result of the demands on any system put upon it by
running both Peachtree and JAWS.
That is heavy. My own experience on my laptop is that it operates
plenty fast, and has never crashed. But, again, a smokin' computer is
a prerequisite."

*** end of clip ***

Then you are saying that this application requires a 64-bit smokin'
operating system to use. I must have missed that somewhere, or if it's
not specifically stated anywhere -- it certainly should be. Not
everyone has this, nor the 8G of RAM. MY order for a Cray computer has
still not been approved by my company.

It does explain why it brought my mere Windows 7 32-bit quad core 4G
RAM system to its knees yesterday