moderated Re: a couple of JAWS and zoom questions

Bill White

Hi, Cynthia. In regard to your first question,

1. Recently, when I go into the participant list in a meeting, JAWS reads something like  “To move to an item press the arrow keys” before saying the participant name. It is incredibly annoying, and it just keeps saying that as I arrow through the list.

To correct this problem, you will need to enter JAWS Options, by pressing JAWS Key plus J, then enter JAWS Options>Basic.

Change the first option from,

Tutor Messages Announce menu and control help radio button‑ checked‑

to,

Tutor Messages Turn off menu and control help radio button‑ checked‑

As to your second question,

2. It has also stopped letting me know when someone has entered the waiting room or raised their hand. If I have navigated away from the zoom meeting and am in, for example, Outlook, it will tell me someone has been put in the waiting room. If I am in the meeting, it tells me nothing.

While in the Zoom Window labelled, Zoom Meeting, press CONTROL plus F9 (Function key 9), to make sure alerts and chat messages are enabled.

You can also accomplish the same thing by pressing ALT plus WINDOWS KEY plus S. These keystrokes are both toggles.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I have noticed a couple of changes in what JAWS is speaking when in zoom – I wonder if anyone has found a solution? I am using the most up to date version of zoom, the current JAWS 2021 (haven’t upgraded yet), and windows 10 on my Dell XPS laptop.

  1. Recently, when I go into the participant list in a meeting, JAWS reads something like  “To move to an item press the arrow keys” before saying the participant name. It is incredibly annoying, and it just keeps saying that as I arrow through the list.
  2. It has also stopped letting me know when someone has entered the waiting room or raised their hand. If I have navigated away from the zoom meeting and am in, for example, Outlook, it will tell me someone has been put in the waiting room. If I am in the meeting, it tells me nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cynthia