moderated Re: Bypassing certain keys in a specific application?

James Malone

Just catching up on this thread now.
@Adrian:
Yeah I think I'll definitely throw forward that suggestion for a
passthrough toggle, it'd be a neat idea. With that being said, there's
very few cases where I'd probably use it, but could potentially be an
easy way to get around the issues people sometimes have with Jaws
intercepting keys before the application. I also can't think of too
many cases where most people would need to use that either, but I
personally say that about a lot of Jaws features. 😂
@Nermin:
I was aware of the sleep thing, thanks for the suggestion though. That
would be fine if I didn't need speech from Jaws in this specific case.
@Paul:
I had no idea either of those games had keyboard files for them,
that's neat. I also haven't played either of them since they were
released so that would explain it. ☺
This is exactly the kind of thing I was trying to do, I was trying to
make a new keymap for the application but for whatever reason I
couldn't see it in the keyboard manager (even running it from the
quick settings menu). In years past, I seem to recall being able to
choose from any open applications when choosing new keymap? I of
course could be totally wrong and I'm misunderstanding how keyboard
manager works now. I'm about to go look at that post you linked to,
this could also answer some questions.
@Steve:
Again thanks for the suggestion. I'll totally try that if I can figure
out why I can't seem to be able to create a new keymap for this
specific application. Unless it's something I'm supposed to make in
notepad now?
For anyone curious, the application in question I was trying to work
with is called Visual Boy Advance, which is an emulator for Gameboy
Advance/Colour/Original. I discovered that there are scripts to make
the first 2 generations of Pokemon games accessible. I personally felt
super nostalgic as I'd played them as a kid, so thought I'd go and
revisit them again. I personally ended up modifying the Visual Boy
Advance keymap as well as the Pokemon Access script keys to get around
the issue for the time being and found that I actually enjoyed this
new configuration loads better personally. I still figured I'd keep
this discussion going though as I do have other games I'd want to try
this with. Also it's an issue I keep seeing Jaws users talk about from
time to time and knew people had been getting around it.

On 12/11/21, Steve Nutt <steve@comproom.co.uk> wrote:
Yes, I think you can do this with the keyboard manager.

Undefine the keys you don't want to use in a particular application, bit
like settings.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services