moderated Re: Bypassing certain keys in a specific application?

paul lemm

Hi,

Sorry, I meant to include the link to the topic on the Audiogames.net page which had t the download and instructions for the custom keyboard manager file for 'A hero's Call'. As mentioned in my previous email the details can be found in post 1076 and the link is below:

https://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=23843&p=44

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of paul lemm via groups.io
Sent: 09 December 2021 22:40
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Bypassing certain keys in a specific application?

Hi,

I play various audio games myself and have seen the arrow key issue come up various times for Jaws users, where you can't use the arrow keys whilst Jaws is running. One work around solution if you need to keep jaws running but want access to the arrow keys is to create a special Jaws keyboard manager file for that program, which allows you to set certain keys to be passed through by Jaws but only whilst using that particular game/program. If you've played either 'Manamon' or 'a hero's call' both games used the keyboard manager solution to allow jaws users to play the game whilst running jaws and give access to the arrow keys. it’s a fairly simple procedure, in the 'A Hero's call' topic page on audio games.net in post 1076 the user gives a link to a custom JKM file to get a hero's call working with jaws and instructions on how to use it. You can open the file with notepad to alter which keys are passed through if you want, the name of the file tells jaws which program to use the keyboard manager file with. So the file from the audiogames.net topic is called 'a hero's call', but you could change the name of the file to another game or program to get it to work with that. I've probably made it sound much more complex than it is, really its just a couple of minute job if that. if you decide to use this method and have any questions just let me know and I'll be happy to help or answer questions if I can.

Paul

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Malone
Sent: 09 December 2021 03:42
Subject: Re: Bypassing certain keys in a specific application?

Ah, I realise I didn't explain myself properly, though thanks for the help regardless (I did know about jaws key 3)!
Is there a way to either pass certain keys but not others to the application, or is there a way to enable some sort of pass through mode, if you will? Basically so I don't have to press insert 3 etc every time. It's a super niche case I'm making here possibly, the specific use case here is when playing certain games which require the arrow keys. Most of the time this question comes up the stock answer people usually give is to just use NVDA, but I'm more curious if such a thing can be done with JFW

On 12/9/21, Steve Nutt <steve@comproom.co.uk> wrote:
Yep, press JAWS Key and 3, then type in the key. It will be passed to
the application.

All the best

Steve

--
To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to
https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@comproom.co.uk
W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of James
Malone
Sent: 08 December 2021 12:26
Subject: Bypassing certain keys in a specific application?

Hi there list,
I've started using Jaws again recently after not using it for at least
a good decade, so I'm still catching up to speed here.
Basically though, I'm wanting to bypass certain keys and have that key
passed through to the application. Is this something I am able to
do/how would I be able to do it?
Regards,
James

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.