moderated Re: moving files from a folder

On Tue, Dec 7, 2021 at 10:31 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
That’s a great explanation and one that I don’t think a lot of visually impaired or blind people realise
-
And I can understand why.

When you are using cut and paste for text, or a sound chunk in Audacity, or in most instances the thing cut is instantly removed, and it's presented visually as "gone."  It's as though it was never there.

By contrast, in File Explorer, when you cut a file it is not instantly removed, but shown as "faded out" for lack of any better way to put it.  The icon is still present but its visual intensity is lessened.  That tells you that the file is staged for the cut.

This is the case because, otherwise, cut and delete for files would be virtually functionally equivalent, but there would be some "file limbo" that is not the Recycle Bin for a cut file while it was in suspended animation before it was pasted, and then what would a user think if they cut and changed their mind and did nothing?  They'd have every reason to believe the file had been deleted, as a file disappearing from the screen and not reappearing indicates it's gone, permanently.

Another example of one of those occasions where there is no direct substitute for sight.  Something is being communicated to the user via this sensory modality that simply cannot be captured in another, or at least not in a way that would be tolerable in a number of circumstances.  Can you imagine if you were cutting a thousand files that you'd selected with CTRL + A and the screen reader were to start saying, "Cut files: file one, file two, file three, etc.?"

There are also things that you have to take somewhat on faith, and that's regardless of visual status, and one of those is that the fundamental Windows functions work and work as designed.  Missing files, as described earlier, have always, in my experience, been the direct result of user error when pasting (and I've made those errors).  Files that are cut and pasted do not simply vanish, but they do sometimes land in a folder you hadn't thought you were pasting into.

This is one of the reasons I am a huge fan of the Everything Search tool from https://voidtools.com.  It allows me to very easily locate files, regardless of how I came to not know where they are, provided I remember something about their names.  And it's much easier and cleaner in doing so if what you're generally trying to find is a file using a file name than Windows Search is.  The only time I use Windows Search for a file is on those rare occasions where I don't have a clue as to what the file name, or part of it, was but I do happen to know some significant word or phrase it contains.  Since Windows indexes on file contents I'll use Windows Search when that's what I need to search on.  That doesn't happen very often, as I'm old enough to come from the era where file names had to be relatively short and you needed to keep those names (or something about them) in your mind.  I've long ago ditched the short part, at least sometimes, but I do keep what I called things filed in the wetware.